16 Responses to “Celestron Super C8 Plus Restoration”

1. Allan Staib says:

Thanks for the encouragement. I have a 1985 vintage C8Plus exactly like this one with many of the same issues. I bought the Bob’s Knobs as you suggested. One of the leg extention locking clamps with the screw cap broke on mine with the scope mounted and it fell over on concrete. Didn’t seem to do any serious damage except that the optical tube is “loose”. I’m going to try to take it apart to see if I can fix this or collimation will be imppossible. If you wouldn’t mind the intrusion, I’d love to talk to you on the phone before I take mine apart. what else did you do during the overhaul? Did you do anything to clean the mirror or corrector plate? If you wouldn’t mind talking to me about this project, please email me your phone number and I’ll give you a call!

Happy Holidays!

Allan Staib

• croman says:

Allan,

Glad to see you found my site, thanks for stopping by. The C8 is one cool and classic scope. Do you have the Byers Drive? Don’t feel bad about the leg locks, all of mine are broke! I’m not real tall so it’s no big deal for me. My OTA was loose as well. I fixed it by removing the finderscope bracket and tightening the small hex head bolt that was under it. You’ll find another on the opposite end as well. Until you get those tight you can forget collimation. Check out my video on youtube. Is this what your tube is doing?

httpv://youtu.be/MDVvzgRPxUE

My mirror was in good shape but the corrector was nasty. The corrector plate is touchy, you must take care in CAREFULLY removing it and marking it’s EXACT position! We can help you out with that though. Before you take it apart for cleaning I would suggest placing an order for Protostar flocking material. Get the one that does not need to be glued down. I’ll send you my phone number tonight.

• Allan says:

Good morning! I am just seeing your reply to my question so many thanks and sorry for the late response. I independently found your video on youtube. Yes, I have exactly the same problem. The screw holes in the OTA are elongated just exactly like yours were. About the same degree of “rocking” motion when you move the tube back and forth from the corrector plate end. Is all you did was to tighten these screws/nuts? I’m afraid that if I try to tighten them sufficient to hold the scope given the elongated holes that I’ll just strip the threads. I’ve considered putting it back as tight as I can get it and then applying a bead of silicone sealant all the way around from the outside to make certain it will hold collimation. I also considered drilling two more holes so there will be 4 holding screws 90 degrees apart which should permanently solve this problem. what do you think of that idea?

I wish I had seen your reply earlier! I have already taken the scope apart and have a “visual” marking of the corrector plate orientation. The scope’s serial number in the center of the corrector plate is offset by about 5 degrees from the clestron marking on the tube. Sounds like that is not a good enough fixing of it’s exact location! Have I done damage that will take sending it back to Celestron to fix?

Again, sorry for the late seeing of your reply. It is really appreciated! The reply below mine were sent to my email inbox this morning so I’m not sure why I didn’t see your original reply! Maybe went to junkmail before I routed it to the inbox!

Thanks for your help and guidance! I’ll order the protostar material as you suggest! You indicated you would email me your phone number so maybe you sent that as well and it is lost in the junk mail foler! I’ll check that now!

By the way, I also own one of the Meade ETX 6 ACF Light Switch scopes and so far it has been a real pain. Most of the problems related to my being in an area of restricted sky and it can never find the alignment stars it wants to find. I haven’t taken the time yet to study how to do the manual alignment but plan to do that tonight.

Thanks again and best regards,

Allan

• Allan Staib says:

Hi again, I forgot to add that yes, I also have the Beyers drive but without the clear observing window some have mentioned.

2. Ben Adlof says:

Nice to see some other super C-8 users out there.
    I have recently “retired” my C-8 and I now use a NexStar 6 SE.
    I am considering putting it up for sale on A-mart or Cloudy Nights.
    It is in good working condition, good optics, etc. It has the Byers drive, but does not have the little window over the Byers gear like your model has. Mine might be a newer model.
    I have a Telrad on it, and I installed a DEC motor. I used a Meade (Model 43 ?) drive corrector on it.
    My wife and I bought it used in the late 1980s, and it has been a workhorse scope ever since!

• croman says:

Hey there… why did you choose to retire the c8? Let me know if you plan on selling her. I may be interested

• Ben Adlof says:

The problem wasn’t with the scope, the problem was with ME trying to lug it up and down stairs to use it. The NexStar 6 is much more manageable for me.
        I forgot to mention that I have a Celestron Astromaster and encoders installed on the C-8.
        If you are interested, I could dig up some astrophotos of the moon and planets that I have taken through the scope and email them to you.

• Ben Adlof says:

I have some astrophotos to send you, but I don’t know how to post them here. Can you send me an email address to send them to?
        Thanks, Ben.

3. Simon Edmonds says:

Hello, I have a c-8 telescope at home that was left to me by my Grandfather after he died. It needs some work done to it, but when it is fully refurbished it will be in perfect working order (and a great condition). How much do you reckon I could get for it? Would anybody on here possibly be interested in it?

4. Ray Fonash says:

Hi. I purchased my Super C8-Plus with optional StarBrite Coating back in 1986 and never used it. It sat in my Mom’s attic in it’s crate it came in until just last year when I opened it up and started to use it. It is in “out-of-the-box” condition. I love using it. It is an incredible scope. I even have the full 8″ Solar filter for it. My original invoice was $360 just for the filter. Had to dust off the cardboard extension tube though. I also have the light pollution filter for it (approx 2″ diameter srew-in style). That was before marriage and kids when I had more money than brains. Anyway, I can’t wait to use it again -too cold right now. Just restored my first scope (Sears Refractor) that I got from Santa. It is nice to see others that appreciate real scopes without computer controls. Have fun!

• croman says:

Hi Ray! I’m glad you came across my site. I had a chance to try out the Byers drive system for the first time a couple weeks ago. Even with a rough polar alignment I was able to keep my targets centered for over an hour! Hopefully the skies will clear up a bit in Chicago so I can get a chance to track Mars for a couple hours this weekend. I restored a Sears 80mm refractor myself a couple months ago! I have the pics posted on the website. I recently acquired another vintage Sears 70mm that I am currently working on. I have to tell you that the 70mm optics are fabulous. My images are crystal clear and razor sharp edge to edge. It took a couple of hours to clean up but it was well worth the effort. I’m actually thinking of mounting this on a modern EQ mount to see how it performs. Take Care…

5. smittan says:

I recently acquired a 1985 Super C8+. It is missing the power cord and has a broken knob on one of the tripod legs. I am interested in restoring it as well. This is my first real telescope I have ever owned. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get a power cable and how I can get everything checked out, get it collimated, etc… Any help would be appreciated. I am in Washington, but stumbled across the post.

Thanks!!

-Spencer

• croman says:

Hey Spencer… What you are looking for is an oval power plug. Moog instruments used to use them on their instruments. I found one on ebay. Search on celestron oval power cord. The leg clips are another story. the new tripods sell for about $100 on ebay. Do you have any pictures? Send me some pictures of the interior of the c8. Do you see any dust, scratches or mold on the corrector plate?